# 23 SUMMARY

"One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things." –- Henry Miller

This journey through web 2.0 technologies was quite an adventure that made me more open to new creative and interactive ways people communicate and express themselves today. I enjoyed every minute of it and am very glad that I was able to be part of it.


# 22 eBooks Project Gutenberg


Project Gutenberg, abbreviated as PG, is a volunteer effort to digitize, archive and distribute cultural works. Founded in 1971 by Michael Hart, it is the oldest digital library.[1] Most of the items in its collection are the full texts of public domain books. The project tries to make these as free as possible, in long-lasting, open formats that can be used on almost any computer. As of August 2007, Project Gutenberg claimed over 22,000 items in its collection. Project Gutenberg is affiliated with many projects that are independent organizations which share the same ideals, and have been given permission to use the Project Gutenberg trademark.




Audio books

Here is a link for audio version of "Rumpelstiltskin" by the Brothers Grimm.

# 20 DISCOVER YOUTUBE

You Tube and other similar networks that allow social interaction and uploading of visual material have significantly changed the way we think. They are providing space for reflection of social changes, recording instantly almost any relevant issue in any developed country - the fact that we had a number of videos related to the question of "worm" today speaks for itself.
Other similar sites, such as Google video, Guba, Dailymotion etc provide similar services.
It is hard to believe that YouTube was launched only two years ago.
As an illustration of YouTube and changing mentality of users (from viewers to participants) , view the YouTube video on Second Life above.

# 19 DISCOVERING 2.0 TOOLS

My decision was very easy: although Web 2.0 awords list has some wonderful entries, in my view one of the most important on this list is YouTube. Its potential is enormous: social, educational, democratic...
See the two examples I chose above.

WEEK 7 Wikis

# 16 WIKIS


I find wikis extremely useful and wikipedia is usually my first choice for topics I do not know much about. I can see a range of potential wiki uses for public libraries: book discussion groups, news on books and events for specific user groups, and a great possibility for staff project teamwork. In that view, You Tube video above is quite interesting.



In my view, the essence of 2.0 technologies can be seen it their popularity as well as the ability to communicate complex messages on many levels. The fact that The Machine is Us/ing Us has been created by an academic and have become so quickly an icon of new era speaks for itself. This is how Prof. Michael Wesch describes it himself:
"On January 31st (2007) I released the 2nd draft of The Machine is Us/ing Us hoping to receive feedback from my colleagues. (The first draft was only seen by my Digital Ethnography class 2 days before the 2nd draft was released on YouTube.) I sent it to 10 people. Four days later it was the most blogged about video in the blogosphere and the wild ride had begun. It has been fun and amazing for the most part - sometimes overwhelming - but always exciting. It is hard to believe that a little video I created in my basement in St. George Kansas could be seen by over 1.7 million people, be translated into (at least) 5 languages, and be shown to large audiences at major conferences on 6 continents within just one month of its creation. In some ways, the journey of the video speaks volumes that the content of the video could only hint at. I know I could not have done this with the technology available 3 years ago - certainly not 13 years ago - so the world really is different and I’m just happy to be part of the mass of people trying to rethink how we can best live in this quickly changing environment. To see more about my overall philosophy and goals for the video, you can read the interview I did with John Battelle.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 License. So you are welcome to download it, share it, even change it, just as long as you give me some credit and you don’t sell it or use it to sell anything. I received many more positive comments than negative about the song choice (great work Deus!), but if you are one of those who does not like the song just download the video and change the audio track to your liking."
Very democratic indeed!

WEEK 6

# 15 2.0 Technologies

Web 2.0 ... The Machine is Us/ing Us
# 10 Image generators


This is fun and quite addictive...

Design your own tartan by using the link below:

#7
Explore this highly interesting, technology-related blog:
#6
mashups



Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Hi everyone,

I've just started. Hope we'll all have fun.

Lilla


Week 2

Cyberspace.